What Kind Of Lightbulbs Do You Use?
Certain types of lightbulbs contain mercury, so it’s important to know which kinds are safe to use. You should always try to avoid using CFL lightbulbs wherever you can. Mercury is toxic to humans as well as pets. We’re sure we all have broken a lightbulb at one point or another. Do you know how to clean up a broken lightbulb properly? There is a necessary procedure to follow. Turning off your ventilation systems, like a furnace or central air, is vital to avoid spreading toxic chemicals throughout your home. Open a window to allow fresh air into the room and ensure no one else is in the room with you. Thoroughly clean the area with a wet cloth and be sure to dry it as well. This will help to avoid spreading mercury throughout your home.
Using Real Christmas Trees
A real Christmas tree fills your home with that wonderful pine scent, and it’s such a fun time cutting down your own, but did you know they are also dangerous? That’s right. Real Christmas trees can cause house fires. It’s essential to shut off your Christmas lights when you go to bed at night to avoid causing dangerous fires in your home. There is an average of 210 Christmas tree fires every year around Christmas time. There are ways to ensure your tree won’t cause a fire in your home. Be sure to buy a freshly cut tree or cut one down yourself. This ensures your tree won’t be too dry. Also, be sure to water your tree, so it doesn’t dry out. This is when fires can occur with Christmas trees. Lastly, keep your Christmas tree away from fire sources like fireplaces.
The Cords on Your Mini Blinds
Here is another deadly item that you might use daily. We all have some sort of curtains in our homes, but did you know the most dangerous type is mini blinds? Children are notorious for wanting to play with them. Research shows that one child dies per month from playing with mini blinds and getting tangled up in the cords. It is such a sad thing that could be completely avoided. If you have mini blinds with cords in your home, the best thing you can do is remove them to keep everyone safe. There are budget-friendly replacements available in most stores now without the cords. If you have them and don’t have the budget to change them out, flip the cords over the top of the blind. This will be a temporary fix to ensure everyone’s safety in your home.
Do You Use Batteries for Your Devices?
Batteries may seem like something that shouldn’t be on this list, but they are pretty dangerous. Batteries contain corrosive chemicals that can cause burns to your skin and eyes. Furthermore, it causes fatalities if ingested. If you use batteries at home, be sure to keep children away from your devices or tape the backs shut so your children can’t access the battery compartment. Suppose you come in contact with battery acid. In that case, be sure to thoroughly wash your hands. If you have ingested battery acid, immediately go to the Emergency Room for life-saving help. Batteries may seem like the least of your worries, but they are actually one of the more dangerous items on our list.
Teflon-Coated Pots And Pans
Do you use Teflon-coated pots and pans in your home? Did you know that Teflon can be dangerous? The problem with these types of pots and pans comes when the pans begin to chip or flake. These pans are only meant to be used with plastic utensils to avoid chipping the Teflon. If you do chip the Teflon and ingest some of what chips off, it could be harmful to your body. If you have these types of pans in your home, it’s best to get rid of them and switch to copper or stainless-steel pots and pans. There isn’t enough information available on the damaging effects of Teflon on the human body, so it’s better to be safe than sorry. If you decide to keep them, at least throw them away if they begin to chip or flake.
You Might Need A Plumber If You Smell This
It’s not something you like to talk about. The stinky things that happen in the bathroom. However, you’ll have to call a plumber if you have a blocked sewer drain. They can help to deter those stinky methane gas smells you get when you go outside. Breathing in methane gas is dangerous for your health and can cause various problems. Methane gas can cause headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, unconsciousness, and dizziness when exposed to too much. Call a plumber immediately before it gets worse if you smell something stinky coming from your yard and begin to feel the effects of methane gas poisoning. It’s not a pleasant smell and may smell somewhat like rotten eggs.