14. Peasant skillet bread
In a hurry? No fancy ingredients? Then this no-fuss, quick and easy skillet bread is just for you. Despite its simplicity, the recipe yields a delicious bread that is without a doubt home-baked and the perfect addition to any meal.
- 2 cups lukewarm water (use 1 cup hot water and 1 cup cold water combined)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Butter (at room temperature)
- Put the sugar in the water and allow it to dissolve completely. Add the yeast. Don’t stir it at all. Put the bowl one side for 10-15 minutes or until it becomes frothy.
- Put the flour and salt in a big bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour and salt. Stir until the flour has been absorbed completely.
- Grease your skillet thoroughly with the room temperature butter.
- Ease the dough out of the bowl and directly into the skillet.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C, then turn it off and let it cool for a few minutes. Put the skillet with the dough into the oven and let it stand there for about an hour so that the dough can rise and double in size.
- Pull the skillet out of the oven. Preheat the oven to 425°F/220° Bake the bread for 15 minutes with the lid of the skillet on (or cover it with foil).
- Turn the temperature of the oven down to 375°F/190° Remove the lid or foil from the skillet before baking it for another 15 minutes.
- Put the bread on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes before serving it.