People Share their Worst Doctor Visits

3. Always get a second opinion. “When I was about 18, I began to experience pains in the middle of my chest. It would be horribly… Trista - April 9, 2021

3. Always get a second opinion.

“When I was about 18, I began to experience pains in the middle of my chest. It would be horribly uncomfortable, but nothing I felt the need to seek treatment for. When I was 21, I had a very intense attack. It was so painful I couldn’t breathe, and I kept throwing up. I was convinced that I had a heart attack. My friend rushed me to the ER, and I couldn’t do anything except cry and gasp for breath, asking for help. The nurses got me registered and hooked up to monitors and then left me in the room alone. I laid on the bed and cried the best I could through broken breaths and truly believed I was going to die. 

About 10 minutes later, the pain subsided. About 15 minutes after that, the ER doctor finally strolled in. He ran some tests and diagnosed me with a spasmodic esophagus which essentially not preventable and incurable. I spent the next seven years suffering these debilitating attacks, during which all I could do is curl into a ball, cry, and pray that the pain would subside soon. After a particularly horrific attack during which I was in pain for a solid 8 hours, I finally went to see my family doctor in hopes he could at least prescribe pain medication for such times. It was then that he told me it’s not my esophagus, rather it was gallstone attacks and that I needed to have my gallbladder out.” Cherpyderp


2. Blood went everywhere. 

“My worst was right after I got in a horrible car accident. I went in just for a checkup to see if my ribs were broken. The appointment had several X-rays, cat scans, MRIs, and an ultrasound. While doing these, the nurse decided I needed morphine for the pain and had a tech come to put in my IV. The tech put it in wrong several times. Then when he finally got it in my arm right; the line had a hole in it or something and wasn’t pumping just morphine, but air as well, when I started to feel sick. Plus, still in pain.

I mentioned it, and the tech told me I didn’t know what I was talking about and to be quiet. He was concentrating. When I finally got in to get the MRI, the tech in there told my other tech that my IV was in the wrong spot. So, she ripped it out without so much as a warning. Blood went everywhere, and they all blamed it on me (i could hear them whispering about me). Then when she put it back in, I told her to put it in my hand instead, and when she did, the tech told her she did it wrong and made her do it again. Which hurt like heck.” EmeraldEyedMonster


1. When a doctor acts highly unprofessional — after brain surgery!

“I had brain surgery eight years ago and a week after had crazy blurry vision, couldn’t read. I went through a lot of work up for inter-cranial pressure, which was marginally high, all these meds to get it down. 8-day hospital stays with a lumbar drain to drain excess cerebrospinal fluid. My neurosurgeon sent me to a neuro-ophthalmologist for further workup. The neuro-ophthalmologist (older male) does a piss poor exam and tells me in front of my mom, “everything is normal. You just need reading glasses” I was 23. “I think the real issue is you exaggerating symptoms because you’re afraid to live on your own and start your life again.”

He said, “You want to be taken care of.” My mom lost it on him, and we left crying. A few days later, I went to an optometrist. Maybe I could get some info. She takes one look at me and says, “how long have you been wearing that scopolamine patch?” I had had it on since surgery like a month ago at that point, for my nausea. My eyes were crazy dilated from the patch, and a day after I removed it, my vision was normal again. We wrote to the chief of ophthalmology, and he called us and formally apologized.” stinkspiritt