BOSS_OF_THE_INTERNET grew up with a friend whose father was a coroner, so he’s sure to have some interesting stories. Let’s see what he has to say. “I’m not a Medical Examiner, but growing up, my best friend’s dad was the county coroner/Medical Examiner. An old shut-in died from natural causes, and his body was found a few weeks after he passed. During the autopsy, the coroner found what appeared to be a thin copper wire running the length of the decedent’s arms, legs, and torso. It was embedded under the skin, with a single point or “outlet” emerging at the base of the neck.
“The man had no family, so no one had a clue how the wires got there or why.” Well, this is scary. Why would a deceased person have wires running through their body? Was foul play involved? I have so many questions, as it doesn’t make any sense how something like this could happen. I wish the coroner himself was able to give us a better insight into what happened during this case. It’s very strange. I hope the deceased gentleman is finally at peace, no matter what happened to his body that caused this strange phenomenon.
Reddit user mattemer shares a terrifying story heard from friends. You won’t believe what these friends in two different parts of the country found in bodies. “This is going to sound made up, but I know two people in two different locations (one East coast, one MT time), one was in school, and another is an assistant at a morgue, that described finding this to me. They found what seemed to be wiring in two different bodies! My buddy at the morgue said they found a kind of wiring that sounds very similar to this, maybe close to 9 years ago?
“He said they had zero clues about what it was for and how it ended up in the body. My other friend, who was a student maybe five years back, also found this copper wiring through a body, coming out at the neck. It freaked me out when I heard the second story. The first one was “eh, that’s weird,” but then to hear it again, from a place so far away? My student friend either didn’t know or forgot where the body was from. I think they get to make notes about the cause of death and the general demographics of the person. I’m reading of another possible case right now? Wow. Goosebumps.”
6. Helping Local Coroners Creates The Strangest Stories
Literarymorass says, “I Helped with autopsies at our local coroner’s office during medical school in addition to cadaver dissection in the anatomy lab. A few interesting finds/situations: A prosthetic testicle in a young man in his 20s. The pathologist hadn’t seen one before. It was about the consistency of a softer bouncy ball but oblong—no idea where the original went. I saw photos of a young guy who had died at home, and his pet fox then ate part of his face. I also observed a dig for a body found buried and then helped piece the skull pieces together back at the lab.”
“We found bullet holes in the skull! I guess that was the cause of death but still an exciting discovery. Most of the dead show up clothed. The clothes are damp and cool from being in the body bag and refrigerator and sometimes really tough to remove. I had a young man who had died in a job site accident and struggled to remove his work boots, thick damp jeans, etc. Anyhow, he had an M+Ms wrapper in his pocket. It really made the whole situation real to realize he was just a normal guy, snacking on candy and doing his job when his life abruptly ended.”
A Reddit user who goes by the name of Pathlady shared her experience. She said, “Oh, man. Okay, one time, we had an autopsy on a guy who had died abroad whilst on holiday. He’d already had an autopsy in his country of death. He needed another autopsy in his home country before his death could be registered, so that was our job. He had been embalmed and repatriated to us. Obviously, by the time we received his body, his brain had already been removed and dissected, and the skull sutured closed. My colleague reopened the skull as we weren’t sure of autopsy procedures in the country of death.”
“The skull cavity was stuffed with underpants. Edit: The weirdest bit, which I should have mentioned in my original post, was that the body arrived with a bag of the guy’s belongings – including his own underpants.” Wow, what a strange story. What is the purpose of stuffing the skull full of underpants? It doesn’t make any sense. That isn’t the way to honor the deceased. If they were attempting to pack the skull for travel, stuffing it with underpants was a poor decision.
Briley13 says, “I worked in an animal hospital as an assistant for a couple of years after high school. At one point, we had a fawn-colored boxer brought in with several long tears in the skin of her back. The owners suspected a wild cat had gotten into the dog’s outdoor run and flayed her. The wounds didn’t match that theory, but we offered treatment anyway. The owner couldn’t afford to treat and opted for euthanasia. After the deed was done, I was bagging up the body for the freezer, and when I lifted it, the fur on the animal’s back started falling off in clumps, revealing skin that was jet black and fragile.
“With the final hoist into the bag, the skin of the entire back sloughed off in a sheet, revealing a dense coating of maggots between the skin and the body wall. I called a vet over, and her theory was that this dog had been left outside in her run for an extended period with no shade and had become so extremely sunburnt that the skin of her back had gone completely necrotic. A colony of maggots took over the fatty layer beneath the skin. There was nothing we could have done for her, so euthanasia was the right choice, but those owners are completely responsible for the dog’s death. In working there, I encountered many horrifying things, enraging and sad, but this really capped it for me.”
Reddit user haileyann29 shares her unforgettable experience. You don’t want to miss this one. She goes on to say, “One time, there was a body that had orange organs. Literally, everything was orange. The blood had a weird orange hue, and the skin was also somewhat orange. The person drank carrot juice every day, with every meal for 30 years. They only consumed carrot juice for the last five years. However, they died of old age. Another time, one individual attempted to commit suicide four times with a 21 revolver. Apparently, they missed the heart three times, and finally, the fourth bullet pierced the heart”.
“According to the report, they suffered for a long time. However, they were still able to disassemble the gun and lay it out perfectly on the bedside table. So, I guess you could say that we found three bullets that didn’t actually kill this individual.” It would be strange to see orange organs, blood, and skin on a human body, but I guess that’s what happens when you drink that much carrot juice. It’s very sad that the person in the second story felt the need to commit suicide and was left in immense pain before they passed. If you or anyone you know struggles with thoughts of suicide, please reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
BushBabyTheRaccoon shares a frightening experience from their time as an EMT. They say, “I was an EMT back in the day, and we were responding to a car wreck where a new sports car had gone off-road and flipped several times. We had a newbie with us, and this was his first trauma call, and to say the least, he was a little excited. We told him when we got to the scene. He was to hold the c-spine for us while we worked the patient. The driver of the wrecked car was in bad shape. He was ejected from the vehicle, and judging by his crushed skull, was minutes from passing.”
“Nevertheless, our little rookie ran over to the patient and grabbed what was left of the guy’s head and held the c-spine. On calls like this, because of their rural location, the first responding police officer will often call a medical helicopter to respond also, as was the case here. Within minutes the man had passed, and we told dispatch to call off the helicopter and request a coroner response. Fast forward to the next day. The ME office calls the station to ask, “who is missing a wedding ring”! They had found a gold band inside the man’s head. It turns out our little rookie was so excited he neglected to glove up before the call and lost his wedding ring in the guy’s head. We called him “Turbo” from that day forward.”
Reddit user deanoldcd says, “As a medical student, I undergo a cadaveric study to understand anatomy better. Last year my subject was an old lady, who sometime before death, must have swallowed a nail… a METAL nail. This thing had gone through her trachea and was wedged in her aorta about an inch. However, it was determined that this had not been the cause of her death as the tissue surrounding the nail had healed, and it looked like it had been healed for some time. I thought she was lucky not to have had it kill her but just shows what the human body is capable of.”
Wow, that’s insane! Swallowing any type of metal is dangerous, but when it wedges itself into a part of the heart, that’s when things get really scary. I can’t believe it wasn’t a contributing factor in her death. With metal poisoning being so dangerous, it makes you wonder how long the nail was embedded in her aorta. That’s so scary! How do you even swallow a nail in the first place? Was it some kind of freak accident, or did she do it on purpose? I have so many questions! The only person with the answers needed is no longer with us, so I guess we’ll never know.