We all want to feel good about ourselves. However, sometimes, no matter how hard we try with healthy foods and exercise, our body is not collaborating. Whenever there’s a lack of a vitamin, exposure to pollutants, or even just stress, our body reacts. These reactions can be seen directly on our nails, hair, and skin. But worry not as these can be healed using natural home remedies.
What’s more, whenever you want to take care of your body, try to stay as natural as possible. Using harsh chemicals or commercial cosmetics may be doing more harm than good. We are surrounded by natural home remedies and we better use them accordingly. So just run to your kitchen cabinets and make sure to fill them (if you didn’t already) with the natural home remedies we list below.
No matter where in the world you live, you have either heard of or consume olive oil daily. Used from ancient Romans and Greeks in their kitchen and health care, this golden liquid is a gem of beauty!
It is an extremely strong emollient which means that it helps your body to lock the moisture within the deeper layers of the skin. Additionally, it provides softness, resilience, and shine to your hair. It penetrates easily and keeps the moisture locked for hours.
Its benefits do not only apply to natural home remedies for hair and skin. Instead, this marvelous oil is the perfect ally for your health as well. Its monounsaturated fatty acid contents will also protect your skin from damaging UV rays. And whenever applied on your nails, you’ll see them grow strong and repaired.
Natural Home Remedies – Uses of Olive Oil
- Health: Add 1-2 tablespoons to your daily diet routine, it will help you regulate your metabolism.
- Hair: Warm up the oil using your hands, then rub it onto your scalp gently. Cover it up with a shower cap and let it sit on your scalp for 30-45 minutes. After that, remove by washing your hair normally. You may have to shampoo thrice if necessary to remove the oil. You can use this wonderful treatment even up to twice a week for strong and beautiful hair.
- Skin: Warm the olive oil using your hands and massage gently, in circular motions all over your body. Let it be absorbed for 30 minutes then shower normally. Pat dry with a soft towel and use your favourite moisturiser. This can be done daily if necessary for drier skins.
- Nails: Massage your cuticles with warm oil (use your hands to warm it up). Let it sit for 15 minutes, then rinse off with lukewarm water. This can be done even 3 times daily if your nails need it!
This delicious fruit is the favourite of many households already. It makes perfect salads, sandwiches, and even vegan ice-creams! But what most people don’t know is the reason why avocado makes it to every known list of natural home remedies. But there’s a very good explanation behind it!
Adding avocados to your regular diet will heal and nourish your skin from within. This is because it is packed with antioxidants that help your skin regeneration and fight against free radicals. Its healthy fats together with the high contents in Vitamin E and proteins turn this fruit into a potent ally for skin, nails, and hair protection.
Not only is the fruit itself a perfect friend for your body, but its oil is even better. Avocado oil can be found in almost any natural shop nowadays. Make sure to have it in your kitchen for delicious salads and luscious skin!
Natural Home Remedies – Uses of Avocado
- Hair: Use 1 ripe avocado and mash it in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and yogurt. Mix well together and apply to your scalp with damp hair. Leave on for an hour, then wash off normally. It may take 2-3 washes to get rid of the mask. Use this mix once a week.
- Skin: Take the pulp of one avocado and massage it onto your skin half an hour before your shower or bath. Once 30 minutes have passed, shower normally. This can be done up to 3 times a week.
- Nails: Mix a bit of coconut oil together with 1tbsp of avocado pulp. Apply to your nails and cuticles, put on some latex gloves and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then wash off with warm water and pat dry with a soft towel. It can be repeated up to twice a month.
Green tea has been between the best natural home remedies for the last decades in western countries. But in Asian countries, it has been adored for centuries. Its high content of quality antioxidants helps to protect your skin from damaging free radicals. It can also prevent and reduce signs of aging such as wrinkles, fine lines, and even pigmentation.
Green tea is good to fasten the healing process of wounds. It can be applied using the wet teabag directly on the skin or by preparing mixes using the leaves. It also helps the body to lose weight and preventing the nails from turning yellow. Even though green tea is usually taken just as it is, as a tea, there are more ways to get its benefits.
If you can, make sure to drink at least two to three cups of green tea every day. It will boost your immune system and help you maintain a healthy weight. Obviously, you also need to make sure to follow a healthy balanced diet! These actions will already make a change. However, there’s more that can be done.
Natural Home Remedies – Uses of Green Tea
- Hair: Prepare a litre of brewed green tea. Let it cool down. Apply it to your damp hair. Wash off with your regular shampoo after 10 minutes. These natural home remedies can be used up to 3 times a week.
- Skin: Don’t throw the used teabags away! Instead, empty the contents of 2 of them in a container. Add a bit of honey and lemon juice. Mix it all well. Apply it gently to your face and neck. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then rinse off. Follow this treatment up to twice a week.
- Nails: With just one cup of brewed tea you can prepare a perfect soak for your nails. Add some drops of wheat germ oil. Then soak your nails for up to ten minutes. You can repeat this twice a week.
These wonderful shiny fruits are packed with good things for your body. You surely already take some of their juice in your food or drinks every other day. This already helps you from within but lemons can also be used outside. They are packed with Vitamin C, which is an antioxidant and allows you to fight off the damaging free radicals. Thus restoring skin elasticity by boosting the production of collagen.
Vitamin C is also extremely useful to treat aging signs such as photo aging, tissue inflammation, and even hyper-pigmentation. What’s more, lemon works great on your scalp as well! There are some really amazing natural home remedies for dandruff, and lemon is one of them. It works by balancing the pH level and supporting hair growth. And even though lemons are yellow, they actually work against nails yellowing.
If you want to boost a young and fresh look for your skin, just make sure to drink one glass of lemon water every morning. You will feel gorgeous with these natural home remedies.
Natural Home Remedies – Uses of Lemon
- Hair: Fill a cup with water and add the juice of two lemons. Take the mix with you to the shower. Wash your hair with shampoo and rinse. Instead of using conditioner, apply the mix to your scalp. Let it sit for five minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. You can do this up to twice a week.
- Skin: Cut a lemon in half and pour a bit of honey on its pulp. Now use the lemon as a tool to spread the honey on your face. You can also apply it to your neck, legs, and hands. Let the honey-lemon mix sit on your skin for up to 10 minutes (less if your skin is sensitive). Then rinse off in the shower. You can do this up to twice a week.
- Nails: Take some argan oil (or castor oil) and mix it in equal amounts with lemon juice. Now soak your nails between ten and fifteen minutes. Then wash off with lukewarm water. You can repeat this treatment as many times as needed during the week.
Coconut oil is one of those natural home remedies that appears in every single list. And there are many reasons behind it! It is mainly because coconuts have so many properties and uses that it should be your body’s best friend! One of the most important benefit is that it is a great moisturiser. It can lock the moisture within your skin and it protects it from sun damage. It leaves your skin smooth and soft. Plus, its fatty acid contents will help your skin to stay healthy, preventing and healing inflammation or redness.
In terms of hair health, the contents of medium-chain triglycerides of coconut make it so that it penetrates into your scalp. It supports the growth and health of your hair from within. By using coconut oil as a mask just 15-30 minutes before washing your hair, you will be making your hair strands stronger and thus preventing damage.
For your nails, coconut oil is excellent as it keeps them strong and moisturised. This will help your nails to grow faster and be more resistant to breakage.
It is advisable to ingest one or two tablespoons of coconut oil (better if extra-virgin) every day. It will help your overall health!
Natural Home Remedies – Uses of Coconut Oil
- Hair: Take a dollop of coconut oil and melt it between the palm of your hands. Now massage your scalp with it. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes then wash your hair as you would normally do. You may have to shampoo twice or thrice. You can do this up to three times a week if necessary.
- Skin: Again, melt the coconut oil using the warmth of your hands. Apply all over your body. Let is be absorbed for 30 minutes and then take a nice warm shower. Once you’re done, apply your normal body moisturiser. If your skin is extremely dry, you can also reapply another layer of coconut oil after your shower and let it there for the whole day.
- Nails: Before going to bed every night, massage your nails and cuticles with warm coconut oil. Your hands and nails will feel so smooth!
Honey is one of those natural home remedies that is basically in every pantry. Everybody around the world has access to good quality honeys. Your skin, nails, and hair will love it every time you use it!
It is mainly made of glucose and fructose, but it also contains other nutrients. Such as amino acids, vitamins, proteins, enzymes, and minerals. This mix is so good that you will feel its effects immediately and see results just after a few applications. It is an excellent emollient and humectant. And it soothes and conditions your hair as well. Additionally, honey is so good that it can regulate your pH levels as well as preventing any pathogen-related infections.
But not only honey is good for your skin, it is also excellent for your hair and nails! In terms of hair, it can help you prevent hair loss. How? Well, this is a bit technical but those that suffer from this condition will surely understand. Honey has prophylactic and therapeutic benefits that can improve a condition called sborrheic dermatitis. Which is directly connected to hair loss. If applied weekly, it will soothe it and prevent relapse.
In terms of your beautiful nails, honey is a natural humectant. Which means that it attracts and keeps moisture on your nails. It also helps to prevent the appearance of hangnails.
Natural Home Remedies – Uses of Honey
- Hair: In order to prevent or stop hair loss use this solution. Mix a bit of onion juice with two tablespoons of honey. Apply it to your scalp and massage gently. Let it sit for up to thirty minutes. Then shampoo as usual. You can do this even twice a week.
- Skin: Mix equal amounts of freshly squeezed lemon juice and honey. Apply the mix onto your face and neck. Let it dry for approximately 15 minutes, then wash it off with lukewarm water. You can do this up to twice a week.
- Nails: Use Manuka honey (which comes from the Tea tree) and apply it on your nail beds. Let it on for several hours and it will be absorbed. Do this daily if necessary and if you have time.
7.Apple Cider Vinegar
Not to be confused with simple Apple vinegar. Apple Cider vinegar is made with a mother yeast with a specific bacteria that grants it its special benefits. This type of vinegar is great for many things health related. For example, it has been used for years to treat acne and sun damage.
Because of the way it is prepared and the added mother yeast, it has several properties such as antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory. Which means that if applied correctly it will help clear your pores and reduce the appearance of pimples, blemishes, and acne. It will also help you balance your pH levels!
In terms of hair, Apple cider vinegar will be your favourite ally! It’s the perfect natural conditioner and it keeps your hair soft and shiny. Because of its properties, it will also balance your scalp’s pH. Regarding your nails, because of its specific contents of potassium, calcium, magnesium, and iron, this vinegar is simply perfect. It can even prevent your nails from breaking and treat any sort of nail fungus.
If you wish to feel lighter and prevent bloating when eating, keep this vinegar close! Mix two tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar with a glass of water. Drink half an hour before every meal. You will feel healthy and absolutely not bloated!
Natural Home Remedies – Uses of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Hair: Mix half a cup of vinegar with two cups of water. Shampoo your hair as you’d do normally and rinse it off. But instead of using your conditioner apply this mix and massage your scalp for about five minutes. Then rinse it off and end with a wash of cold water. You can do this every time you wash your hair by substituting your conditioner with the mix above.
- Skin: Mix the same amount of water and vinegar. If you have oily skin, use it as a face cleanser every day.
- Nails: In order to prevent or fight nail fungus, mix equal amounts of water and vinegar. Then soak your nails daily for up to ten minutes.
If you’re reading this, you will surely have a pack of oatmeal somewhere in your kitchen! This food is found all around the world and it’s mostly inexpensive. Being one of the basic ingredients of many cultures and countries. Its high content in proteins, biotni, and several other B vitamins make it your best ally. Thanks to its concentration of beta-glucan and starches, oats are perfect to retain moisture within your body, mostly your hair.
Additionally, colloidal oatmeal is a very good friend of the skin. So it can be used as a cleanser, and even a tonic and moisturizer. It has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. So much that it can actually be used to treat atopic dermatitis.
As a plus, finely ground oatmeal (like a flour) is a perfect natural dry shampoo. So if you have oily or even smelly hair, apply it as you would with a dry shampoo. Your hair will look clean and perfect for the day ahead!
For your nails, oatmeal is perfect to prevent hangnails. Thanks to its protein contents it also keeps your nails and cuticles moisturised by preventing water loss.
Natural Home Remedies – Uses of Oatmeal
- Hair: Ad mentioned above, oatmeal makes the perfect natural and chemicals free dry shampoo. To prepare your own, grind one cup until it creates sort of a very thin flour. Add half a cup of baking soda to the mix and stir it well. Now store the mix in a jar or bottle. Use it whenever necessary to keep your hair clean on important days!
- Skin: Fill your bathtub with warm water and add one cup of colloidal oatmeal to it. Then add some drops of your favourite essential oil. Soak your body in the bathtub for up to twenty minutes. Then rinse it all off. Even though this treatment can be done even twice a week, the use of such a huge amount of water on a weekly basis is not good for the environment. So make sure to not overdo it!
- Nails: Mix half a tablespoon of honey, another half of olive oil, and two of ground oatmeal. Add a bit of water to the mix as well. Massage your hands with it, including the area around your nails. Let it sit for up to 15 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. You can do this once a week.
If you like this tasty nutty snack, then we have good news for you! This small nut can be used not only in its original form but also as an oil. It is perfect to improve your skin complexion and protect your skin from sun damage. Thanks to its high contents of Vitamin E, almonds and almond oil are perfect to fight off free-radicals and oxidative damage. Whenever you’re exposing yourself to the sun, make sure to use some almond oil to protect your skin and even reverse any existing damage.
Because of its emollient properties, almonds are also perfect to soften and rejuvenate the skin. Making you look hydrated, fresh, and young for longer! Almonds are perfect to snack on daily (always with its limits of course!). So make sure to always have a handful at hand.
Natural Home Remedies – Uses of Almond Oil
- Hair: Take some almond oil in the palm of your hands and warm it up with your natural temperature. Apply it on your scalp and massage it gently in circular motions. Leave it overnight and then wash off in the morning. You may have to shampoo 2-3 times to remove the entirety of the oil leftovers. You can repeat this treatment up to thrice a week. Additionally, it is also very good to munch on soaked almonds daily to help your hair stay healthy.
- Skin: Take a shower or a bath, and just when you’re done apply warm almond oil to your skin. Massage it gently in circular motions. Alternatively, prepare a scrub with ten soaked almonds and honey. Use it once a week to feel your skin back to life!
- Nails: For weak nails make sure to massage some drops of almond oil directly onto your nails and cuticles. Do this every night before bedtime. Repeat every day for several weeks until you reach the desired results.
Even though tomatoes are usually sold as vegetables for your salads, they are actually fruits. And they’re packed with essential nutrients that are perfect for your hair, skin, and nails. One of the main parts of tomatoes is lycopene, which is a very strong antioxidant that can prevent and even repair DNA damage. Because of this, it is perfect to protect your skin against skin aging and sunburn. Thanks to its protection against UV light, it can also prevent related erythema.
In terms of hair, tomatoes can help you strengthen your hair from within. Which means that it promotes hair growth and balances your pH levels on the scalp. This also helps you fight against dandruff. Additionally, tomatoes also have biotin which is a nutritious addition for your nails to make them grow shiny and thick.
Natural Home Remedies – Uses of Tomatoes
- Hair: Mix together one tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, together with two tomatoes and two teaspoons of aloe vera gel. Make sure to mix it well. Then, apply this paste onto your scalp. Put a shower cap on and let it sit for thirty minutes. Wash your hair normally, you may have to shampoo more times to remove all residues. You can do this once a week.
- Skin: Mash one ripe tomato and use the pulp all around your face and neck avoiding the eye area. Let it sit up to thirty minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water. You can do this up to four times a week.
- Nails: Mix two tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil together with half a cup of tomato juice. Soak your nails for approximately ten minutes. You can do this twice a week.