In the 1970s, a number of public health concerns emerged regarding foodborne illnesses and the risks associated with exposure to harmful bacteria, such as salmonella and staphylococcus. Over time, these risks have been better understood and efforts have been made to reduce the prevalence of foodborne illnesses through improved sanitation practices and better understanding of safe food handling. However, new risks have emerged in recent years, particularly with the growth of aspergillus mold in damp environments. While aspergillus mold is not a new risk, its potential impact on human health has become better understood, and it is now recognized as a significant concern.
Carbon Monoxide From Gas Appliances
Carbon monoxide (CO), is a chemical compound that is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that results from the burning of fuel. Carbon monoxide poisoning was especially common in the 70s due to the coal burned for things like gas-powered appliances, such as water heaters, furnaces, and stoves, commonly emit carbon monoxide in homes. Poor ventilation and maintenance of these appliances can cause the production of toxic levels of CO, causing severe health complications. Symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, nausea, confusion, dizziness, and shortness of breath. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause unconsciousness, brain damage, or death in severe cases.
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure that a qualified professional properly installs and maintains your gas appliances. Regular inspection can help detect any problems before they become dangerous. Ensure that your gas appliances are properly ventilated, and that the ventilation systems are regularly cleaned. To get an early warning of dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in the home, installing carbon monoxide detectors is recommended. By doing this, you can help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and protect the health of you and your loved ones.