In the 1970s, people commonly used this type of paint in homes and building, almost every home built before 1978 contains lead paint. This paint is known for its durability and quick drying, but it’s a significant threat to people’s health, particularly children. It contains lead, a toxic substance that can lead to health problems, including learning difficulties, developmental delays, and behavioral issues. The most common way people were exposed to lead was through inhaling or ingesting dust and chips from lead-based paint.
Lead-based paint has been prohibited in the United States since 1978, the substance can still be present in many buildings. If you reside in a pre-1978 home, it is crucial to take measures to prevent lead exposure. Especially if you have children or expectant women in the household. You can lower the risk of lead exposure by maintaining a dust-free environment, employing wet cleaning methods instead of sweeping. Fixing any peeling or chipping paint and sealing surfaces that contain lead paint can help too. If you have doubts about the presence of lead paint, you can enlist the assistance of a professional to inspect and remove any dangerous paint. It is imperative to safeguard your health and the well-being of those around you from the hazards of lead-based paint.