Aspergillus Mold in Damp Environments
Aspergillus is a mold that thrives in damp environments, like bathrooms, basements, and kitchens. This was a unique issue for the 1970s, as the products used for home construction helped mold thrive rather than restrict it. Although some aspergillus species are benign, others can produce toxins that cause health issues for people and animals. When exposed to aspergillus mold, individuals may experience respiratory symptoms, such as coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. In some cases, people with weakened immune systems may develop serious infections. Preventing aspergillus growth is important, which can be done by keeping the home clean and dry, improving ventilation in damp areas, and promptly repairing any leaks or water damage.
To prevent the growth of aspergillus mold, it’s important to tackle the root cause of moisture, such as fixing leaks or improving ventilation. Regular cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces in damp areas can also help reduce mold growth. Those with allergies or asthma may benefit from using air purifiers or dehumidifiers to reduce exposure to mold spores in the air. If aspergillus mold is found in the home or workplace, it’s recommended to hire professional mold remediation services to safely remove the mold and prevent future growth.