Donuts and other baked goods
Let’s face it, we all love a donut with our coffee at work. And who can say no to cookies and cake on somebody’s birthday? Well, who can say no to them on just about any occasion, to be honest? But when we look at the list of ingredients they contain, the jury is in. And the verdict is that these foods don’t do your body any good at all.
Donuts are delicious. Just the smell of them can get your stomach growling to telling you it’s hungry. But they contain a triple threat when it comes to unhealthy ingredients. They include refined flour which is of little or no nutritional value when compared to whole grain products. Donuts contain a lot of sugar. If you have donuts with delicious sticky toppings,
it’s even worse. Too much sugar leaves your body struggling to break it down and use it. It often gets stored as fat. Eventually, exposing your body to that much sugar can lead to it no longer being able to process or store it. This will bring about the onset of diabetes. The final ‘fatal’ ingredient in donuts is trans-fat. This comes from the submersion of donuts in oil during the preparation process. It’s estimated that a donut contains 10-20g of fat. And that’s unhealthy fat, not healthy fat.
As enjoyable and donuts and other divine baked treats may be, the key is to enjoy them only very occasionally. Making them part and parcel of your daily diet will lead to obesity. Unfortunately, a lot of people turn to these foods when they’re eating emotionally. They are ‘comfort’ foods. But it pays to remember that the comfort they provide is temporary but the inconvenience they cause in the long-term can be life-changing.
Additional Tips to Live Longer
- Practice exercise 3-4 times a week. Light exercise like fast-paced walking will do. However, if you can add swim or other cardio exercises it is even better.
- Make sure to avoid stress. In order to do so, add yoga, mindfulness, Pilates, or meditation to your weekly routines if you wish to live longer. Stress will balance out and you will be able to enjoy your life at its best!
- Keep a healthy and balanced diet throughout. Make sure to eat fresh produce, unprocessed meat, and drink plenty of fluids.
- Avoid all the foods above and in general, avoid anything that has unpronounceable ingredients!
- Keep moving, live longer!