- Potato Skins: Using Spuds for Your Gray Hair
Don’t throw those potato skins away the next time you cook. Instead, save them to make your own organic hair coloring solution. This is because potato skins contain starches, which act as a natural dye to gradually make your gray hairs darker. Here’s how:
- Mix one cup of potato skins with two cups of water.
- Bring to a full boil and let simmer for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let it cool down completely before straining the liquid from the potato skins.
- You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to add a pleasant scent.
- After you shampoo your hair, divide it into several small sections.
- Pour on your hair, or brush this solution on each section using a hair dye or marinade brush.
- For ease of use, make a large batch and store it in an empty shampoo bottle to place on your shower or bathroom shelf.
- Rinse well with cool water and repeat until you get the effect you desire.
Sweet potatoes are great for prematurely aging hair, too. Just like regular potatoes, they contain lots of nutrients and antioxidants for repairing damaged hair. They also hydrate and strengthen your hair. Here’s a sweet potato mask you can whip up fast to use daily:
- Simmer two sweet potatoes in eight ounces of water for just four to five minutes.
- Mash them into a fine paste and add one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add one tablespoon or curd, which is a dairy product produced by coagulating milk, and mix well.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water first.
- Massage the paste gently into your scalp.
- Next, apply to your hair, starting at the top and working to the bottom of each strand.
- Put your hair up in a bun or towel and leave on for at least 30 to 40 minutes.
- Rinse off thoroughly with warm water.
We all go gray, but there are ways to slow the process and even reverse it to some degree, so just pick one of these home remedies for prematurely graying hair to try for yourself. The best part is, they are natural, affordable and easy to prepare, too. You don’t have to spend a lot of money or use synthetic products with risky chemicals. If you are tired of your gray hair, pay attention to living a healthy lifestyle and go for these natural treatments, instead.