5. Table Salt
Salt is an important aspect of our diet. It is required in our bodies for quite many processes. However, the table salt we commonly use in our homes is not the natural salt our bodies need. Table (processed) salt contains 98% sodium chloride, and the 2% contains dangerous synthetic chemicals such as aluminosilicate and ferrocyanide, potassium iodide, anti-caking agents, moisture absorbents and some iodine. In some countries, fluoride is also added. Natural salt, on the other hand, contains 84% sodium chloride. The other 16% contains natural minerals like silicon, vanadium and phosphorous.
Iodine, an important mineral in the body, is found in natural salt. When salt is manufactured or processed, the natural form of iodine is lost, and this is harmful to the thyroid. Salt manufacturers end up adding synthetic iodine to the salt, which is detrimental to the body.
Table salt also leads to high blood pressure, as the blood attempts to move any toxic element away from the heart rapidly. This high blood pressure increases the risk of stroke and Coronary Heart Disease (that leads to heart failures and heart attacks). This is the reason why people with high blood pressure are advised to reduce or eliminate their salt intake.
Lots of salt in the diet increases the risk of getting stomach cancer. Salt can lead to the damage of the stomach lining, increasing its vulnerability to H. pylori, the cancer-causing bacteria. Salt can also increase the action and growth of the bacteria.
A high salt intake leads to more calcium in the body, which is passed out into urine by the kidneys. Too much salt leads to the buildup of calcium in the kidneys, resulting in kidney stones, which are very painful. Kidney stones may lead to kidney disease. There are other effects of too much salt intake, such as osteoporosis and vascular dementia.
In as much as natural salt has benefits to the body, you should consume it in moderation. Consider the potassium to sodium ratio in your diet too. Maintain balance by eating whole, organic foods for the best potassium to sodium ratio.