Brutal Food Poisoning Experiences that Will Ruin Any Meal

That’s one way to get an extension on your finals. “Okay, so this was my first, and only, time (so far) getting food poisoning… It was… Trista - August 5, 2021

That’s one way to get an extension on your finals.

“Okay, so this was my first, and only, time (so far) getting food poisoning… It was the weekend before college finals, and my scholarship was on the line, basically. If I messed up, I would not be able to stay at my school. A week before this happened, my boyfriend broke up with me, so I was already not in a good state of mind. I went to the cafe to get some food because I had been trying to study for my bio test, and it was already 3 pm. My screw-up was getting the spicy tuna roll. 9 pm was the first time I threw up. After that, I thought I would be okay, but I could not have been more wrong. 1 am I got up and attempted to run to the bathroom.”

Gifthelp28 continues, “I wound up puking all over the door and waking up my germaphobe roommate. It was coming out of both ends and would not stop for about 20 mins. Each second I asked myself why me. The same thing happened 2 hours later… Then 2 hours after that. My RA was not in her room, and I had no idea what to do, so I called my parents and emailed my professors. My parents picked me up, and I felt so much better after a day of rest with my saint of a mother taking care of me. (She even hand washed my diarrhea PJs by hand because our washing machine just broke). I wound up getting an extension on my finals and obtained the grades that I needed to stay in my school.”


When food poisoning ruins your favorite things.

“I got back from a week in Oklahoma storm chasing and took my girl out to this Greek restaurant we’ve been to on numerous occasions for dinner. This was literally an hour after we finished the overnight drive from OKC, and I slept maybe an hour that night before, so I was already pretty tired and cranky. Usually, I get gyros from there, but this time I wasn’t really feeling one, so I went with scallops instead. They were delicious. A couple of hours after we got home and right before we went to sleep, I could feel something wasn’t quite right, but I figured it would be fine after I slept it off. It wasn’t. I slept for about two hours and woke up with extremely violent vomiting and diarrhea, and it was an all-day event.”

“I couldn’t hold anything down, not crackers or water or juice or anything. It was one of those ordeals where I threw up so much and so often that once it finally started to wind down, I could hardly walk. I was so weak. It certainly didn’t help that by this point, I had maybe 5 hours of sleep in the past 72 hours. This was back in April. I haven’t had more than a single bite of Greek food since then, and I freaking love Greek food. I didn’t do seafood for several months either, and again, I really love seafood. I’ve recently warmed back up to everything except scallops. I think those will be a no-go for a long time.”


Never eat gas station sushi.

“I made the mistake of buying sushi from 7/11. It was 2:00 am, and I had homework. I was finishing up when I just got a sudden craving for sushi. Panda Express was closed, and the sushi bar at our Kroger closed 7 hours ago, so I settled on going to 7/11 since the closest Panda Express that was open 24 hrs was at least 10 miles away. So I run in, grab a pack of sushi, a Slurpee, and a bag of Doritos. I head back and chow down, only to notice it seemed off. It tasted slightly sour and had some weird discolored spots on it. But, being too tired and hungry to run out again, I ate a couple more pieces before pitching it in the trash due to the taste. 2 hours later, I wake up with incredible pain in my stomach,” tells Reddit_User479.

“I run to the bathroom and proceed to vomit up chunks of rice, avocado, and crab meat from the sushi. This goes on for another 10 minutes before I drive to the ER during a break between vomiting, occasionally pulling over from nausea. The doctor checks me out and says that I contracted food poisoning from rotten sushi. All the meanwhile, I’m trying to hold back the urge to vomit my guts out. Doc prescribes some digestive meds to clear it up. Meanwhile, here I was for half a week, vomiting, s@#%&ing my brains out from diarrhea, and popping meds while stuck at home. Luckily, I had a couple of good friends who would go and get stuff to eat while I was sick and would bring my homework…”


Food poisoning always causes a night to remember.

“It was the last day my boyfriend, and I had together before leaving school for the summer to go home. We lived about 9 hours away from each other, not during the school year. So we had this wonderful date planned at one of the nicer restaurants in town, and we both got all dressed up to go out. So we eat, and the food was great, and we are having a good time. Well then, about an hour or two later, I just start feeling absolutely awful, and I start puking my guts out. The worst part was at this point in time we are hanging out at his friend’s house whom I had just met, and I ended up vomiting in his bathroom for a good 15 minutes,” says Elephant_Gurl.

“Once it stopped for a little while, he took me back home. The puking went on the whole night and into the next day. So we ended up spending our last night together with me sitting by the toilet puking and him bringing me water and trying to make me feel better. To this day, he still argues that food poisoning doesn’t happen that quickly and swears it was something I ate earlier that day. And he could be right, but there is still no way in hell in going back to that restaurant. Honestly, just the thought makes me queasy.”


There was nothing left after all that.

“I ate a burger in a remote town that seemed slightly too pink, but I was starving. Forty-five minutes later, I puked 1) in the bathroom of our restaurant, 2) in a trash can outside, 3) in a snowbank, 4) in another restaurant, 5) in all 12 plastic bags my sister kept in the back of her car while her husband drove the two hours home, 6) in the downstairs toilet, which is when diarrhea started, 7) in the upstairs toilet, and 8) in the bathtub,” shares stayshinycapn.

“I spent the night sitting up against a wall because lying down would set me off again. I dreamed that the house was on fire, and the only way to keep it from burning down was to keep tying the laces of a billion shoes in a row. At one point, I tripped over a pair of shoes and 9) threw up all over my blankets and lap. Also, Chipotle a few years earlier from a burrito bowl. I will never eat at either place again.”


That definitely was a food poisoning accident.

“I think my worst is when I was a child about 9-10. My family brought home some chicken pot pies from a chicken pie shop. I told my mom that I wasn’t feeling well late in the evening after eating some earlier in the afternoon. So, she let me take a nap in her bed. I woke up a few hours later, and my sister was on the computer in my mom’s room. Then I got up to use the restroom, walked to the door, and turned to my side, and threw up all over my mom’s clean clothes. The ones that she had hanging to dry and all inside a bin that was holding a lot of her shoes.”

Danndelinne continues with their story and says, “I couldn’t help it and didn’t even feel it coming. I’m glad that my mom didn’t get angry with me because she knew that I couldn’t really help myself. And I knew that she was probably annoyed that I dirtied her laundry and got vomit all over her shoes. She helped me get cleaned up and still let me sleep in her bed. That was so many years ago, and I still feel bad for ruining her stuff.”


That weird taste is probably telling you to stop eating it.

“KFC – I’m not a huge fan of it, but my hubby wanted it. While we were eating, I told him my biscuit tasted funny. He said that he was fine, probably just me. Fast forward 30-45 minutes, we’re at home (thankfully), and my stomach starts rumbling like I’m about to pass gas…it wasn’t gas. I stood up to go to the bathroom but didn’t make it. What came out was straight liquid grossness – I had crapped my pants….my wonderful hubby rinsed and washed my pants/undies while I finished my business and cleaned myself up,” shares twilightsgraces.

“As I was cleaning myself, I felt the rumble again, but this time it came from both ends, and the abdominal pain, sweats, and delirium started. I was on the toilet holding a trash can with it spewing from both ends every 20 minutes for almost 8 hours. I thought I was dying. My husband was about to rush me to the hospital when it finally stopped. I was weak for three days after that. That was about seven years ago – I have never eaten and will never eat at KFC again.”


Oh, what a wonderful honeymoon.

“My wife and I are world travelers, but she’s relatively new to the game. I’ve been to 47 countries and wanted to take her to Thailand for our 3-week honeymoon. While it’s awesome being able to buy a meal for 3 USD per person, you probably shouldn’t do it. I knew this, but we were in the middle of nowhere, and we got desperate. We walked into a street-side cafe, which appeared to be the only food around for miles. I was fine for the remainder of the day. When I woke up at 4 am, things were different. I bolted to the bathroom of our hotel – which wasn’t a separate room from the bedroom, mind you – and I was exploding from both ends simultaneously,” explains [redacted].

“Every 20 minutes, I’d have to sit my butt on the toilet and grab a trash can, emptying whatever little I had in my system out. I showered after every episode and tried to get what little sleep I could. My wife, luckily, was fine, aside from having to endure the wonderful smells I was providing. She went out to buy several gallons of water for me as I needed them. My stomach finally settled around 1 am the following day. My body was wrecked, though – I was unable to move significantly for two days due to severe muscle pain. We spent those two days watching movies in bed and at the hotel’s pool, so it wasn’t a total loss, but we weren’t able to go exploring.”


When food poisoning is for sale.

“I made the massive mistake of eating at a $1 Chinese food joint on Hollywood Blvd back in the 90s when I was a teen. It hit me that night, and I was woken up from a dead sleep. I was shaking and shivering, with my stomach turning back flips. So, I raced to the toilet and vomited violently for several minutes. I got a glass of water and weakly made my way back to bed. Then, I took a few sips of water. That came back up within minutes. I wished I were dead,” shares 46andtwojustahead.

“It got progressively worse. I spiked a fever of about 104. And I couldn’t keep anything down. I was supposed to be working, and I tried my best. However, I got sent to quarantine. I crawled into bed, and evidently, Then, I lost consciousness for three days. My friends came searching for me on the 3rd day and managed to rouse me from my unconscious state. They then coaxed me into eating a couple of crackers as well as taking tiny sips of water. I couldn’t eat Chinese food for about ten years after that episode.”


Food poisoning took the whole team out.

“I was on a traveling softball team, about age 11. We had an early-morning tournament out of town, so we all stayed in a hotel that served breakfast. That morning before heading to the tournament, the entire team and their families ate breakfast at the hotel. My little brother was being super wild, so my dad decided to take him to the nearby McDonald’s that had a play place so that he could wind him down some. We get to the tournament when our team starts dropping like flies. Round the base, hurk, and rally! The coach was passed out under a shade tree near the dugout,” says Booner999.

“Some of the parents were laying on the concrete bathroom floor. To make matters worse, the temps were well over 100 that day. The park had to come out and put dirt on the fields we played in because all of us girls had puked all over the place. There was one other team who was going through the same thing, and they stayed at the same hotel we did. The only two people who didn’t get sick from this mess were my dad and brother. It still gives me nightmares thinking about all that puke.”


What a crumby workday.

“I have had some pretty cruddy food poisoning scenarios before, but thankfully was always able to take off from work or school and rest. However, one of the more inconveniently timed bouts of food poisoning was while on a work trip to some tiny African country. My first time in Africa, actually. We were in a small but nice hotel but had a lot of work to do locally. I do not know if it was the food at the hotel or from the site where I worked, but a couple of days into the trip (and the most important day of the trip for me / my expertise, as other parts had been duel / more geared towards my clients and coworkers from a different section) and I barely slept,” shares BigBearSD.

“Was crapping my guts out all night long. I used up all of the TP and had to request more. I used all of that up, too, felt embarrassed, and just took to washing my butt in the cold shower after every s@#%. This kept up into the morning. I took various medicines I had brought with me to protect against the African Trots, but man was that morning rough. I sucked it up, got ready for work, and did my job. It was very hot and humid out, but I didn’t want to drink, let alone eat anything, for fear of having an instant case of the shivering squirts. That was a 12 to 14-hour workday. But thankfully, by the end of it, I was feeling a lot better, still not 100%, but okay enough.”


Food poisoning is a sure way to ruin a concert for yourself.

“I worked security at Bonnaroo in 2005-2006. I went the first couple of years and found my way into getting paid to go and bring a bunch of college friends along. Well, somehow the 2nd day of 06, someone left out an entire pallet of lunches from the day before. They were distributed to the staff unknowingly. I was one of the unlucky ones. Unfortunately, this news didn’t hit me physically or by word of mouth until after I partook in some magic mushrooms after my shift was over. However, before the headliner Radiohead. The s@#%/puke tornado dance in a sauna of a port a potty isn’t something I’d wish on my worst enemy,” shares ThinkinWhisky.

“After an eternity contemplating every decision I’ve ever made in life, I was escorted back to staff camping. The next morning I was expected to be at my post at 7 am. During the walk, I leaked a rancid ham sandwich down my leg and ran to the treeline to puke. It would not be the last time I used explosive diarrhea to get out of work. However, it still remains my most legitimate use of it. I spent the remainder of the day ruining port a potties which went from “sauna” to “7th circle of hell” hot under the June Tennessee sun. I avoid Radiohead like the plague to this day.”