One of the largest outbreaks of botulism was in Michigan.
In March of 1977, customers at a Mexican restaurant called Trini & Carmen’s reported food poisoning symptoms. At least 58 people became ill, marking it one of the largest botulism outbreaks in U.S. history. Everything happened in a city called Pontiac, Michigan. They tracked the source to hot sauce. The workers made the sauce using improperly home-canned jalapenos. It is no surprise to anyone that, within days, the health department forced the restaurant to close. Authorities were even able to seize the jars of contaminated peppers from the property. Thankfully, nobody died because of the incident. Nevertheless, dozens and dozens of people became very ill after consuming the hot sauce.
This incident occurred over 40 years ago, so you would think health restrictions would be much better by now. Although people are more aware of the risks associated with bacteria, accidents still happen. Although people like to can veggies and other foods for various reasons, they have to be cautious of the dangers involved with the practice. If you open a can, and it smells off, has a discolored film on the top, reveals green spots, or just seems bad in general then get rid of it.