Over a dozen people died from listeria linked to hot dogs.
Between 1998 and 1999, an outbreak of listeria affected at least 100 people across 24 states. Not only were dozens and dozens of people sick, but 14 victims died from the outbreak. Plus, another four pregnant women had miscarriage as a result. What caused it? Authorities were able to trace the outbreak back to tainted hot dogs. This contamination had affected over nine different brands, including the popular known Sara Lee Deli Meat. The outbreak spread from a manufacturing plant in Zeeland, Michigan, known as Bil Mar Foods.
It is a tragedy when people die so unexpectedly. They sit down to have a decent meal with friends and family. It could a beach day, or birthday party. Then a random hot dog sends them to the grave. Not from chocking on it, either. Even after cooking contaminated meat, the infection can still spread. They were unaware that would be their last meal. The moral of the story is to always cherish people when they are still around, and don’t eat hot dogs.